Written by Super User
Published: 16 August 2013
Welcome to Kobe’s Corner where you can get an inside glimpse into the life of the living legend! Catch up on all the need-to-know
info by checking out the Kobe trivia, quick and fun facts, famous quotes, and the causes Kobe supports.
- Position: Guard | Shoots: Right
- Height: 6-6 | Weight: 200 lbs.
- Born: 23rd August 1978 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Professional basketball debut at age 18: 3rd November 1996
- 5 time champion
Here’s some things we bet you didn’t know about the 5 time champion
- Nickname: Black Mamba
- Name origin: parents named him after the famous Japanese beef, Kobe; which they saw on a restaurant menu.
- Speaks fluent Italian
- SAT score: 1080
- In high school, Bryant was a member of a rap group called CHEIZAW. His debut rap album was called Visions.
- Kobe was the first guard in history to be drafted straight out of high school.
- It is said that Kobe improves his games and develops new moves for the season by playing against his own shadow.
- In high school, Bryant wore the number 33, but when he entered professional basketball, he switched to number 8. He wore number 8 in Italy and it also represented the shirt that he wore at Adidas ABCD camp. By switching the number when his popularity grew, he was able to sell more jerseys according to some critics. He now wears jersey number 24.
- He represented the United States in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics and won gold medals both times.
• The Kobe & Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation
Kobe and his wife Vanessa founded this foundation that is dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need, both in the USA and globally. By providing financial resources and developing unique programs, the foundation strives to strengthen communities through educational and cultural enrichment opportunities. http://kvbff.org/
• After School All-Stars
• Kobe Bryant China Fund
Bryant is the official ambassador for the After-School All-Stars (ASAS), an American non-profit organization that provides comprehensive after-school programs to children in 13 USA cities. http://www.la-allstars.org/
Bryant started the Kobe Bryant China Fund which partnered with the Soong Ching Ling Foundation, a charity backed by the Chinese government. The Kobe Bryant China Fund raises money within China earmarked for education and health programs.